Saturday, October 15, 2011

[Blog] MH Solo: Digging in the dirt



Art can be interpreted the way the audience view it. There's no right or wrong with it - only eyes, emotions and interpretations. In one of my conversations with Heidi, she said that art intends to arouse you (well, artistically) for it is the culmination of minutes of walking and stop overs from one to another.

I can say I am a visual artist but I am more inclined to stage. Every once in a while, I go to museums and galleries to see what's out there but I can be seen more often lining up for The Madz's concerts or stage plays. Just like today, I am at Rockwell to see Martin Honasan's gallery. I was looking forward to see his gallery because I like portraits and I would say, he did a good job at that.

Before these were hanged here, I was able to see his works in their house. I believe I have only been there 3 times and his works caught my attention already. As I mentioned earlier, I like portraits but I particularly like faces for this is where expressions are seen. But among the gallery of his works, the DETHORNED is what I love the most and this is the only work he has that focused on a hand.

True that I said I like faces but this one outshined the rest IMHO. I like how he intricately brushed one person's hand - the finger tips, the nails and the french tip, palm lines and the lines on the wrist. I said to myself: "this person really has a nice hand." But what really caught my attention is that red rose on the palm. I know that it is not just about a rose seated on the palm; I know there's more to it. The painting says something about Jesus. I thought to myself that the red rose is Jesus' blood and the hand was His flesh/body piereced on the cross.



True enough, on top of the painting, there is a verse from Isaiah 53:5 "But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our inequities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed." Wow! That painting was worth minutes of simply looking at it, trying to feel what the message was all about and admiring that person's hand. The card on top of it and verse definitely helped me understand what really was Martin's message to his audience. I may say that his art is a blessing from God and to his audience.

The gallery is a good 5-minute walk for passers by like me but if we stop for a bit while and try to feel what the artist's message really is, we would know that it goes beyond the canvass - it is more than the lines, the color and the texture. As for me, indeed, it was a success for he was able to make me think and feelings aroused after I view one work to another.

I may not be able to grab one for myself right now but if finances wouldn't be an issue, I will definitely bring DETHORNED home with me tonight. Kudos to you, Kuya Marts! Looking forward on your next solo.


God bless you!

No comments: