Friday, March 11, 2011

[Blog] Change is inevitable

People find it a cliché when you say that the only thing that is permanent in this world is CHANGE. As cheesy as it can be but yeah, it is true. There are times when you need to step out of your comfort zone to see what's still out there to find out, explore and discover more for yourself to stretch your horizon. Many people miss on great opportunities because they are just sitting there comfortable with whatever they have for it is what they do for how many years already. As posted by a friend in his FB wall, he quoted the famous Albert Einstein saying "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." I am sure you all will tell me that you still make mistakes. Yeah perhaps because we have not yet perfected the art of doing things right the first time. Not that I am saying that I am perfect, else I shouldn't be here on earth, it's just that there is an addicting feel of being cushioned by the comfort we created for ourselves. YES, we create this invisible comfort zone because we don't want pain or stress in facing big waves.



Change is something staple in the industry I am in. You see people come and go it's like a big room where things move in and around then the next thing you know, they're gone. In the recent events, I have seen how the big ones had been moved around. My station is just in front of the room where changes happened and still are happening. There was this bold woman who joined the bandwagon months ago. This person is an advocate of change. She just fire things away the way she thinks will work for everyone's benefit which include us all. Of course we expect people whine and complain that this and that are not good and that it eats up a lot of their time and the whole nine yards. I am part of that "PEOPLE". I got stressed, I whined, I complained but did not challenge myself to step up. Instead, I fight it by being who I am - a rebel. One day, this lady asked me to step into her square and did all the weather check. I answered all her questions point blank with the thought in my head that I would not care if she will get hurt with the truth I'm about to tell her.



She asked bold questions so I answered her boldly as well. She's brave to ask these for I think she knows that I speak truthfully, fearfully. Just like what my friend once told me so what if she tweets with celebs, they are still human so I fired away with my answers. There was one portion in our Q&A that made that day a memorable one. She asked me how I find her doing and changing a lot of things. I thought to myself this is the moment to tell her what my heart feels about her leadership. So I said all my apprehensions, hesitations and my dislikes about her leadership but you know what, it fired back at me. She made me realize that those are the same apprehensions, hesitations and dislikes about me and probably about others as well. I forgot that she's also human who feels and senses about these things. That Q&A day made me think deeper and I told myself to shape up and change. There is the word again - CHANGE. The 10-minute conversation I had with her was very insightful for me as a leader that in order for us to move, we need to change and try different things other than what we normally and usually do; that to become a better leader, you need to push yourself out of your shell. One day we all realized that she moved out so there was change again. Months down the road I look back, she really made a lot of changes and I want to give her credit for whatever liberation I feel right now. A tap at the back for you.



Change is such a huge thing to face. We lose the cushion then we see ourselves bleeding from the pain. This picture is hard to look at but we forget that we bleed because we fight it and never want to try a new approach. At times we even lose our faith in everything including God for you have been in the battle alone by your own self. We forget that we still have our Almighty Creator to comfort us when we are in pain. As He said in Psalm 55:22 "Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." Another one is in Matthew 11: 28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Rodney Howard Browne amplified it as "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]” He also said in 1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." WHOA! Those were just powerful verses that assure us that even if change is inevitable, we have our God to comfort us. He should be the cushion from all the pain that we experience due to these changes. Let's be brave to face life's challenges with God by our side. He will comfort us all the time for He promised us so.



GOD BLESS US ALL!

No comments: